Following some of these simple actions will keep your home to operate in the best possible condition.
Interior of Home
- Inspect or replace your HVAC filter monthly
- Clean the clothes dryer vent and stove hood filters
- Check you HVAC system to make sure it is running properly and efficiently
- If you own a coil-back refrigerator, vacuum the coils at least twice a year.
- Check your water heater to make sure it is working property
- Inspect and clean dust from your fire alarms and carbon monoxide
Exterior of Home
- Check around the perimeter of your home for any insect damage or damaged wood
- Inspect around your home to make sure water is running away from the foundation. Water that sits against the foundation can penetrate the area and cause water damage and growth of mold in some cases.
- Inspect your gutters for debris to ensure the water flows correctly away from your house. Also check for any damage and repair.
- Inspect your roof for damage. Replace shingles that are damaged. If the roof has more then 18 percent damage have a licensed contractor come out to advise on a replacing the roof. Also check flashing and ridge vents on home every few months.
- Inspect your soffit and fascia boards for rotting areas. Replacing these areas will ensure that there will be no rain entering in your attic. In areas such as Florida, Fascia should extend so it stops below the underside of the soffit because of driving rains and hurricanes.
- Caulk all windows and doors once a year. This will ensure that rain will not penetrate these areas and cause water damage inside your home.
- Examine your exterior surface, usually stucco in this area, and paint for any patching or paint needed.
- Inspect your sprinkler system to make sure there are no damaged heads or pipes. This will help with conservation of water and save you money.
- Always check for lose branches on surrounding trees. Protect your home!
Checking these items can save you thousands of dollars in unnecessary repairs later!